If you’ve been wondering – “How do I create a custom status in Slack?” – then you’ve come to the right place! Here’s a step-by-step guide that will help you do it.
How to Use the Custom Status Feature on Slack
If you want to change your status on Slack, you have these five default options to pick from:
- In a meeting
- Out sick
- Working remotely
While these options give your team members a rough idea of your availability, it’s often helpful to share something more specific or fun with a custom status and emoji.
Slack’s Custom Status Suggestions
Apart from creating a one-off custom status, you can also change Slack’s default suggestions for your workspace.
Here’s how you can do it:
- From the desktop, in Slack, click on your workspace name in the top left corner
- Select Settings and administration
- Click on Customize [workspace name]
- Click on Statuses
- Select the default status suggestions
- Click on Save
Create a Custom Status Update
To set a custom status, here are the step-by-step instructions that you need to follow:
Slack’s Desktop App
- Click on your name in the upper left corner
- Click on Set a Status
- Type out the message that you want in your status
- Choose an emoji to match the status message
Slack’s Mobile App
- Tap on More items (… icon)
- Tap on Set a Status
- Type in your custom status and choose an emoji
Customize Your Team’s Profile
In addition to setting a custom status in Slack, you can also customize Slack profiles for your team.
You can configure what information your team members will be asked to add to their Slack profile. Slack, by default, will ask your team members for their first name, last name, work role, phone number, and time zone. If you want to add new fields, here are the steps:
- On a desktop computer, go to the navigation panel on the left side of the screen
- Choose View Profile and Account from the drop-down Menu
- Click on Edit
- Click on Add, edit, or reorder fields
I Want Even More Control Over My Status!
As you can see, setting a Custom Status in Slack is a great way to communicate availability and also have fun. But sometimes, this can be too much work. In this case, we suggest trying Pulse.
Pulse offers automatic Slack status updates. Pulse can change your Slack status to whatever you want based on how you customize it.
Pulse goes further than just custom Slack statuses and also allows you to sync Slack with Outlook and Google calendars. This will automatically update your Slack status to show your availability or preserve your focus time by turning your status to Do Not Disturb.